Our recent experience has shown that Pentosan appears to produce varying results among any given population of horses. Some clients use Pentosan exclusively while others don't think that it works as well as some of the other products currently available (such as Acetylglucosamine or Adequan). It has been difficult for us to predict which individuals are likely to respond and which are not. Consequently, most clients elect to monitor their horses' response to empirical treatment and then decide if continued therapy is worth the investment.
If you are interested in trying Pentosan for your horse, please let us know.
THE ATLANTA EQUINE CLINIC IS CURRENTLY CONDUCTING AN INFORMAL RESEARCH STUDY ON THE EFFECTS OF PENTOSAN.
The results of the study will enable us to provide you with more detailed and accurate recommendations on the subject of long-term systemic arthrotherapeutic options for your horse(s).
If you participate in our study (by answering a total of 10 questions), you will get a 20% discount on the first bottle of Pentosan for each participating horse, which amounts to only $15.60 per dose.
I. STUDY GOAL:
To survey client opinion regarding the effects of PENTOSAN versus Adequan® or Acetylglucosamine DS (Pharmacy Resources, Inc.) for the intramuscular management of synovitis/ arthritis in the horse.
II. PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENTS:
1. In order to participate in the study, a history of previous long-term systemic arthrotherapy is required. This provides our basis for comparison.
EACH participating horse must have received AT LEAST 6 consecutive doses of:
a) Adequan (Luitpold Pharmaceuticals) and/or
b) Acetylglucosamine DS (contact us regarding compounding information).
Horses having received systemic arthrotherapeutic product(s) different than those listed above or horses that have not been previously medicated with those medications listed above are not eligible to participate in the study.
It is not required that participating individuals are currently receiving Adequan or Acetylglucosamine DS, but it is required that they've received one or both of these medications at some point in the past.
Horses currently receiving Adequan or Acetylglucosamine DS are eligible to participate, but cannot receive either of these medications during the course of the study.
It should be noted that Pentosan is not to be used in conjunction with Adequan or Acetylglucosamine as this will discredit the results of the study. Pentosan can be used in conjunction with all other concurrent medications and supplements during the course of the study, however.
2. Each horse must receive AT LEAST 10 doses (1 full bottle) of Pentosan to participate in the study. The questions should be answered based on the client's experience after the administration of all 10 doses.
3. There is no limit with regard to the number of horses each owner can enroll in the study.
NAME, AGE, BREED, SEX, COLOR AND JOB DESCRIPTION MUST BE PROVIDED FOR EACH HORSE ENROLLED IN THE STUDY.
4. A 20% discount will be applied to the first bottle of Pentosan for each horse. If you enroll 5 horses in the study, for example, you will receive a total of 5 bottles of Pentosan at the discounted rate.
Payment is required at the time that each discounted bottle of Pentosan is dispensed.
5. A total of 10 questions must be answered for EACH horse participating in the study. For example, if one client has three horses participating in the study, a total of 3 sets of (or 30) questions must be answered. Each set of 10 answers should be specific for a single individual and not for any group of individuals.
6. Because we are comparing the effects of Pentosan to Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine, ALL of the responses will be referenced to each client's experience with one or both of the latter-mentioned products.
With regard to this study, Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine will be considered your CONTROL MEDICATIONS.
III. ADMINISTRATION PROTOCOL:
1. For horses that have previously received once-monthly doses of Adequan or Acetylglucosamine: Administer 5cc PENTOSAN in the muscle once weekly for 4 consecutive weeks* then ONCE monthly thereafter. Monitor response.
2. For horses that have previously received twice-monthly doses (or more) of Adequan or Acetylglucosamine: Administer 5cc PENTOSAN in the muscle once weekly for 4 consecutive weeks* then TWICE monthly thereafter. Monitor response.
*Due to the different molecular makeup of Pentosan (as compared to Adequan or Acetylglucosamine DS), reloading of the product is required in ALL cases.
IV. QUESTIONS (feel free to expand on any answers):
1) On which product(s) will you be basing your answers [i.e. which product(s) are your CONTROL MEDICATION(S)]: Adequan? Acetylglucosamine? Both?
2) Approximately how many previous doses of Adequan and/or Acetylglucosamine has your horse received in total?
3) Is your horse currently on a regimen of Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine?How much time expired between the first dose of Pentosan and the last dose of Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine?
4) After re-loading the Pentosan, did you maintain your horse on ONCE-MONTHLY or TWICE-MONTHLY doses? (This regimen should be similar to that previously used for the control medication).
5) Is Pentosan more difficult, less difficult or the same (with regard to ease) to administer as your control medication?
6) Is Pentosan's injection site more reactive, less reactive or the same as your control medication?
7) Is Pentosan's rate of onset faster, slower or the same as your control medication?
8) Is Pentosan's degree of effect better, worse or the same as your control medication?
9) Is Pentosan's duration of effect longer, shorter or the same as you control medication?
10) Based on your answers above (and regardless of cost), is Pentosan better, worse, or the same as your control medication (with regard to overall effect)? If possible, please quantify the difference with a percentage (for examples, 25% worse or 50% better).
COMMENTS: If a better response is observed pursuant to Pentosan administration as compared to Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine administration then we would recommend Pentosan therapy (once or twice monthly) for your horse. If, on the other hand, the Pentosan response is equal to or less than that observed following Adequan/ Acetylglucosamine administration then we might recommend staying with your current protocol.
For regular Pentosan users, we recommend administering 5-6 ml in the muscle once weekly for 4 consecutive weeks, then once or twice monthly thereafter indefinitely.
Pentosan is prepared in a 50ml bottle (which amounts to eight and one-half 6ml-doses or ten 5ml-doses). A bottle normally costs $195 (which amounts to $19.50 per 5ml-dose and $23 per 6ml-dose). Pentosan can be ordered through our Pharmacy at 678-867-2577 or firstname.lastname@example.org.